The Drolor Centre provides a facility that brings leaders together to explore leadership in a global context with the aim of providing leadership development, leadership research, and case sharing to participants. In addition to providing a platform for leaders to engage in creative and focused big picture thinking, it also explores how leaders can develop cooperative global leadership and partnerships in a political and economic context. It examines what strategic and global leadership models may deliver better and sustainable value. Central to this, the Centre provides leaders with skills to enhance their communication in order to stir passion and ignite the ore for change in others for greater societal impact.
Programmes in Global Leadership at the University
- Accelerate and sustain economic growth in the face of slow integration into a new and unstable global economy.
- Enhance its international character and presence, and engage more effectively at the global level.
- Enhance peace and security on the continent.
- Make the continent healthier and wealthier by focusing on wealth creation rather than on poverty.
- Strengthen good governance and accountable leadership in whichever form is workable and meaningful to it.
Objectives of the Centre
The Drolor for Centre Strategic Leadership is therefore to:
- Provide executives, politicians, and senior managers with leadership skills for leading change and making a difference in the 21st Century.
- Provide a platform for African leaders and executives to interact with global counterparts in exploring critical issues of economic and social development that matter to the African continent.
- Provide a system of understanding of the important concepts of leadership and strategy, but more importantly how to create and deliver value for constructive and necessary change.
- Offer personal grooming and l under a system that values and places individual good above common good and generally rejects poor quality of life.
These symbols have over the years become the norms and acceptable standards for Africa south of the Sahara. African leadership – traditional, religious and political leadership – has played a significant role in the development of this symbolic culture. Often poorer countries have blamed their plight on imperialism or colonialism without considering how culture, leadership, and management practices could have contributed to the situation. These conditions have often been blamed on corruption, greed, dictatorship, military coups, incompetent leadership, and mismanagement. These ineffective leadership practices are believed to undermine Africa’s governance systems, development, and culture. Africa needs to change these trends, and it is only the African people who can truly help themselves.
This is why strategic leadership is crucial. The question is why has African leadership practices not yielded the expected results for Africa even up til now? It is believed that the lack of strategic thinking and the inability to use what a country already has to get what it needs has contributed largely to Africa’s developmental slowness. It is time for African leaders to build the condence of their people to take their destiny into their hands without missing the opportunity to leverage global capital through prudent partnerships and networks rather than dependency on aids and support. It is against this background that the need to set up a centre to develop leaders with a requisite social capital, leadership skills and competencies for partnerships, networks, economic development, and social skills to make a difference on the continent was conceived.
To be a Centre of Excellence for high level and executive leadership development in Africa for Africa’s accelerated development.
The Centre exists to nurture a global community of leaders who are willing to make a difference with their presence by creating and delivering value that goes beyond their time and/or geographical boundaries. Leaders who understand the consequences of their actions and inactions on current and future generations and can act ethically in such a context.
Core Activities of the Centre
The aim is to create a distinctive world-class leadership development platform and experience based on global trends, events, research, and community engagement that can provide political, traditional, spiritual, corporate and business leaders with requisite entrepreneurial, creative and ethical thinking skills that can create and deliver value sustainably. Our approach will benet from the rigorous research conducted on the Master of Philosophy and Master of Science.