WELCOME MESSAGE FROM THE DEAN
Welcome to the Faculty of Accounting and Finance!
The Faculty of Accounting and Finance of the University of Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA) is one of the leading Accounting, Banking and Finance and Actuarial Science education providers in Ghana. The Faculty provides purposeful education to engender global citizens who are mindful of responsibilities to self and society. Our programmes are tailored to ensure that students develop to become professionals who can manage ethically, sensitively and holistically in different organisations in increasingly and rapidly changing global environment. We pride ourselves in the knowledge that our graduates, upon completion are successful in almost all spheres of business, industrial, community and professional life, contributing effectively to local, national and international development. To ensure that our students are competitive in the labour market, the Faculty sets high academic standards for its students and establishes inclusive engaging curricula and learning environments. We also provide students with life-long learning experiences and critical thinking abilities and skills needed to solve complex business issues in the technologically-driven business world. We recognize the diversity nature of our students and pay attention to their personalized needs through the use of inclusive support services and mentorship proogrammes.
Undoubtedly, the world of business, particularly accounting, banking and finance is constantly changing as a result we pay attention to emerging industry trends to offer high quality education to prepare students for real-world work so they can make difference. Our academic, administrative and auxiliary staff provides students with top-notched support services to ensure they enjoy their stay on campus. I therefore urge all those who want to acquire their academic and professional training in accounting, banking and finance to do so from the Faculty of Accounting and Finance that combines scholarship with professionalism.
The Faculty of Accounting and Finance of the University of Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA) is a provider of high quality academic and professional education in Accounting, Banking and Finance established in 2005/2006 Academic year. The Faculty currently has two Departments, namely Departments of Accounting and Banking and Finance, offering various undergraduate, postgraduate and professional programmes. Over the years, the faculty has been and continues to be the preference for most students due to the rich programme content which is on high demand by industry, and the caliber of staff who are academically and professionally qualified to prepare students for the world of work. The Faculty has clearly distinguished itself by the enviable and outstanding products of students and alumni who are exhibiting scholarship with professionalism in their respective work places, both nationally and internationally. Since its establishment the Faculty has been a place of academic and professional excellence, dedicated to the advancement of knowledge through teaching and research as well as community service. Through its international collaborations, the faculty facilitates exchange programmes for both faculty and students. The Faculty delivers new ideas in classroom where students receive unmatched teaching through small class sizes and collaborates with industry practitioners. This ensures that our students combine theory with practice to be relevant and competitive in the labour market. The faculty has over six thousand (6000) student population, with distinguished and accomplished scholars, researchers and highly sought-after qualified professionals who have advanced academic degrees and professional qualifications in various fields from renowned and prestigious institutions across the world.
The Faculty of Accounting and Finance of the University of Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA) was established to provide both academic and professional education to not only nationals, but also to international students. Our hallmark as a Faculty is ensuring quality in our teaching and learning processes as well as in our service delivery to our internal and external stakeholders. We strive to provide our students with programmes and services that meet and even exceed their expectations. We are also committed to ensuring continuous improvement in our programmes and systems through the establishment of Quality Management Systems, which provide a framework for measuring and improving our performance. Our internal procedures are reviewed regularly and held in a Quality Manual made available to every staff of the Faculty.
We aspire to be a leader among Universities that offer Accountancy, Banking and Finance, and to achieve national and international recognition of these disciplines by providing programs of academic and professional distinction that meet the needs of industry.
Our mission is to provide excellence in accounting, banking, and finance education through teaching, research, and community service.
How do we achieve our mission?
• Fostering intellectual curiosity, academic excellence, business insights, and accounting, banking, and finance expertise
• Creating high-impact, relevant research
• Engaging and collaborating with professional communities both within Ghana and the rest of the world
• Leveraging technology
Our Shared Values
• Continuous improvement and recognition of excellence in teaching, research, and service
• Recognition of the diverse perspective of students, employers, and society as accounting, banking, and finance program stakeholders
• Appreciation of professional certifications and core competencies needed for long-term professional success
• Responsiveness to changes in organizations and society
• A shared sense of community and collegiality among faculty, students, administrators, and other stakeholders
• Superior quality for a higher purpose
The faculty has two main Departments:
• Department of Accounting
• Department of Banking and Finance
Post Graduate programmes:
• Master of Business Administration in Accounting and Finance
• Master of Business Administration in Petroleum Accounting and Finance
• Master of Business Administration in Auditing
• Master of Business Administration in Internal Auditing
• Master of Philosophy in Finance
• Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Accounting
• Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Banking and Finance
• Bachelor of Science (BSc.) Actuarial Science
• Bachelor of Science (BSc.) Business Economics
• Bachelor of Science (BSc.) Accounting and Finance
• Institute of Chartered Accountants, Ghana (ICAG)
• Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) U.K
• Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) U.K.
• Chartered Institute of Bankers (CIB), GHANA
• Tertiary Diploma in Accounting
The Faculty boasts of a state of the art Lecture Block Complex (LBC), Ultra-modern Library Complex, well-furnished lecture halls equipped with projectors, white boards and microphones for lecturers’ and students’ use. There is a large Conference Room where the Faculty and students hold seminars and conferences. In addition, private study rooms for use outside lecture hours are also available. The LBC also houses offices for lecturers and administrative staff.
• Financial Analysis
• Risk Control Strategies
• Management, Accounting and Financial Strategies
• Audit and Internal Review
• Public Sector Accounting
• Macro Economics
• Development (poverty, Income distribution, Unemployment Issues)
FACULTY AND STAFF
• Dr. Raymond K. Dziwornu
• Dr. Kwadwo Obeng
Heads of Departments
• Dr. Helena Ahulu - Department of Accounting
• Dr. Edward Attah Botchwey – Department of Banking and Finance
• Mr Kwasi Ofei-Kwafo - Faculty Officer
• Ms. Leticia Gagakumah - Departmental Officer, Accounting
• Ms. Vivian Aku Gbade – Departmental Officer, Banking and Finance
• Mr. Augustine Ofori - Faculty Records Officer
There are a total of eighty-two (82) Lecturers in the Faculty of Accounting and Finance, made up of twenty-eight (28) lecturers in the Department of Accounting and fifty-four (54) Lecturers in the Department of Banking and Finance.
Faculty of Accounting and Finance
6th Floor, Lecture Block Complex, Room 608/610
P.O. Box LG 149
Accra – Ghana
Tel: +233 303971716 +233209322115