Name: Helena Ahulu PhD
Faculty: Accounting and Finance
Position: Lecturer / Head of Department
- Financial Accounting
- Non-Financial Accounting (Corporate Social Responsibility Reporting/Disclosure)
- Auditing and Management Accounting.
Born in Accra, Mrs. Helena Ahulu holds a PhD in Accounting and is currently the Head of the Accounting Department, University of Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA).
Prior to joining academia, she worked as an Internal Auditor with the Ghana Highway Authority for over 10 years reviewing activities of the Authority to assess performance, identify deficient areas and make recommendations for improvement. She also conducted performance and financial audits both in the head office and regional offices and reported on outcomes. This practical experience contributed to the high performance in auditing, academically earning her a merit award from both the University of New England and the Certified Practicing Accountant body in Australia. Helena is also a Professional Accountant and a member of the Institute of Professional Accountants (Australia).
In her early days of academia, she was an examiner in the International Accounting course at University of New England (UNE), where she taught both graduate and undergraduate levels. Her approach to teaching and ability to explain complex concepts in easy-to-understand terms made her stand out as an excellent teaching staff earning her several awards. Her good research skills gave her the opportunity at a very early stage of her career in academia to work as a research assistant with several grant recipients on various projects at the UNE Business School. These research projects were highly recognized and the grant recipients won various awards.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Accounting (PhD): University of New England - 2012
- Master of Economics (Accounting): University of New England - 2008
- Bachelor of Business Administration Science (majoring in Accounting): Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA) - 2006
- Diploma in Business Studies ( Accounting option): Accra Polytechnic - 1984
Published Journal Articles
- Ahulu, H. K., Farooque, O. A., & Kotey, B. (2014). Are Social Issues Relegated to the Backburner? An Analysis of CSR Reports of Australian Mines. Journal of Accounting, Ethics and Public Policy, 15 (3)
- Al Farooque, O., Kotey, B., & Ahulu, H. (2014). Exploring Environmental Disclosure in Selected Australian Multinationals under the GRI. Issues in Social & Environmental Accounting, 8 (3)
- Ahulu, H., & Kotey, B. (2011). Determinants of Sustainability Reporting: An Analysis of Corporations in Anglo Economies. International Journal of Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability, 7 (2), 271-286
- BCPC 204 Principles of Accounting
- PDBAII6 Principles of Accounting
- PBAC 307 Auditing 1
- PBAC 301 Financial Accounting
- PDBA 224 Financial Accounting
- Member, Institute of Public Accountants (Australia)
- Alumni, UNE