Name: Dr. John Kwaku Mensah Mawutor
Faculty: Accounting and Finance
Department: Accounting Department
Position: Senior Lecturer & Dean, School of Graduate Studies
Phone mobile: +233 (0) 243287242
- Corporate Reporting, Financial Reporting and Management Accounting
- Financial Management and Development Finance
Dr. John Kwaku Mensah Mawutor is currently the Dean of the School of Graduates of the University of Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA). He is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants, Ghana (ICAG). He also holds a Doctorate Degree in Finance from the SMC University in Switzerland, and a Master of Business Administration Degree (Finance) from the Wisconsin International University (Ghana).
John has a considerable Teaching and Practical knowledge and experience in Development Finance, Financial Accounting, Cost Accounting, Management Accounting and Financial Management as well as practical entrepreneurialism, having been a practitioner since 2001.
He is also a self-motivated individual, a team player and has a passion for effectiveness and efficiency. In the area of Accountancy, John has distinguished himself as a lecturer, student and practitioner. He was adjudged the overall best Accounting student in Financial Accounting in 2008 by the Institute of Chartered Accountants, Ghana (ICAG) and has represented Ghanaian Youth at the Annual United Nation's (UN Youth Assembly) in 2009 and 2010. He is also an elder of the Church of Pentecost.
My goal as a facilitator/lecturer is the develop the thinking capacity of students to critically assess, analyze and evaluate problems with the view of discovering ground-breaking inventions. I strive to equip my students with skills to always identify solutions to perennial challenges in their various communities, countries and the world as a whole.
Often than not, I always deploy the effective ways of teaching, interacting and influencing my students to be good citizens no matter where they find themselves. As a developmentally oriented person, I always expect my students to break-grounds in every environment they find themselves.
- DBA (SMC University, Switzerland) - 2014
- MBA (Wisconsin Int. University College of Ghana) – 2010
- CA (UPSA) - 2008
- Chartered Accountant (CA), Ghana
- Certified Quantitative Risk Management (CQRM)
Sept. 2016 – to – date: Dean, School of Graduate Studies, UPSA
January 2016 – Sept. 2016: Vice Dean, School of Graduate Studies (UPSA)
2013 – 2015: Coordinator, School of Graduate Studies (SOGS)
2010 – 2019: Hall Tutor: Opoku-Ampomah Hall (University of Professional Studies, Accra)
2019 -to-date: Member, Finance Committee, Coastal Development Authority, Ghana.
2017 -to-date: Vice Chairman, Abokobi Area Rural Bank Ltd
2009 – 2015: Member, Ghana Education Trust Fund (GETFund)
2015 – 2019: Member, Governing Council (UPSA)
Refereed Journal Articles (presented from the most recent to the earliest)
- Boachie Yiadom, E., & Mawutor, J. (2019). Corruption and bank failure in Ghana. Journal of Business Research, 1-18.
- Eric, B., Mawutor, J., & Amankwa Fosu, R. (2019). Investment and growth amidst widening Government debt. "The Ghanaian Story". Asian Journal of Finance and Accounting, Vol. 11, No. 1, 259-271.
- Mawutor, J., & Frimpong, T. (2019). Corporate governance and financial performance of rural banks in Ghana. Journal of Business Research, 1-33.
- Mawutor, J., Borketey-La, F., & Asamoah, D. (2019). Assessment of Factors affecting Audit Quality: A Study of Selected Companies listed on the Ghana Stock Exchange. International Journal of Accounting and Financial Reporting, Vol. 9, No. 2, 436-449.
- Mawutor, J., Enofe, A., Embele, K., Ndu, A., & Awodola, O. (2019). Fraud and performance of deposit money banks. Accounting and Finance Research, Volume 8, No. 2, 202-213.
- Mawutor, J., Siaw, W., & Mensah, A. (2019). Assessment of the adaptation and implementation of IFRS for Small and Medium entities (SMEs). "A study of selected SMEs at GA East of Ghana". Asian Journal of Accounting and Finance, Vol. 11, No. 1, 241-258.
Subject Areas (Teaching)
- MBAF601 Financial Reporting
- MBAF602 Corporate Reporting
- MBAF604 Management Accounting
- MBCG606 Financial Statement Analysis for Decision-making
- PBBS306 Management Accounting
Professional Membership & Affiliations
- Member, Institute of Chartered Accountants, Ghana (ICAG)
- Member, Certified Quantitative Risk Management (CQRM)
- Member, University Teachers’ Association of Ghana (UTAG)
- Member, Consumer Advocacy Centre (CAC, Ghana)
- Member, International Youth Assembly (IYC, UN)